University of Connecticut
Papers and Data
Comparative Welfare Entitlements Dataset
Please send any papers using the dataset (or questions and comments) to me at email@example.com
+ Updated 5/21/05 to Version 1.1 ( replacement rate tables not modified)
* Updated 4/2/06 to Version 1.2 (these updates are administrative, they should not change any values.
Recent Papers (Updated 8/1/11)
- Declining Concern about Climate Change: Can We Blame the Great Recession?
Revised version of paper presented at 2010 World Congress of Sociology Meeting in Gothenburg, Sweden, July
- Information, Choice and Political Consumption: Human Rights in the Checkout Lane
Human Rights Quarterly (forthcoming) (with S. Hertel, C. Jeffords and S. Best)
- Bribes and Ballots: The Impact of Corruption on Voter Turnout
International Political Science Review(forthcoming) (with D. Stockemer and B. LaMontagne)
- Human Rights and Public Opinion: From Attitudes to Action
Political Science Quarterly 124(3), 2009 (with S. Hertel and P. Heidkamp)
Previous Version (UConn Economic Rights Group Working Paper 3 2008
- Unemployment Insurance Generosity: A Trans-Atlantic Comparison
Les Annales d'Economie et de Statistique No. 93/94, 2009 (with Christian Zimmermann and Stéphan Pallage))
- Democracy and Environmental Protection: An Empirical Analysis
Presented at the Midwest Political Science Assoc. Meeting in Chicago, April 2009
- The Impact of Inequality on Turnout
Presented at the Midwest Political Science Assoc. Meeting in Chicago, April 2009 (w/ Daniel Stockemer)
- New Dimensions of Welfare State Regimes in Advanced Democracies
Presented at the American Political Science Assoc. meeting in Boston, MA, August 2008 (with J. Pontusson)
- Social Stratification and Welfare Regimes for the 21st Century: Revisiting the Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism
World Politics 60(4), 2008 (with J. Allan)
- Social Rights, Welfare Generosity and Inequality
In C. Anderson and P. Baramendi, eds. Democracy, Inequality, and Representation. Russell Sage Foundation, 2008.
- Measuring Unemployment Insurance Generosity
(with Christian Zimmermann and Stéphan Pallage).
- Political Regimes, Democratic Institutions and Environmental Sustainability: A Cross-National Analysis
Presented at the Midwest Political Science Assoc. meeting in Chicago, IL April 2008 (with C. Rivera)
- Modeling and Forecasting Electoral Participation around the World: Voter Turnout in Democratic Regimes, 1972-2006
Presented at the American Political Science Assoc. Meeting in Chicago, IL, August 2007 (with James Bourbeau)
- What's Multiple Regression Got to Do with It?
Comparative Social Research 24 (1), 2007, pp. 309-24.
- The Generosity of Social Insurance, 1971–2002
Oxford Review of Economic Policy 22 (3), 2006: 349-64.
- Redistributive Consequences of Welfare State Entitlements
Presented at Syracuse University, May 2005.
- Welfare State Generosity Across Space and Time
In J. Clasen and N. Siegel, eds. Investigating Welfare State Change, Edward Elgar, 2007, 133-66
- Welfare State Decommodification in Eighteen OECD Countries: A Replication and Revision
Journal of European Social Policy. 16(1), 2006, pp 55-72 (with J. Allan)
- Material Consequences of Welfare States
Comparative Political Studies 39(7), 2006, pp. 880-904. (with J. Allan)
- Research on Globalization and the Welfare State: Do We Know What We Think We Know?
Presented at a conference on Globalization and Equity at Duke University, May 2004.
- Political Partisanship and Welfare State Reform in Advanced Industrial Societies
American Journal of Political Science 48(3), 2004, 493-512. (with J. Allan)
- The Ghent System and Union Membership in Europe, 1970-1995
Political Research Quarterly 55(2), 2002: 275-97.
- Where Have All the Members Gone? Globalization and National Labor Market Institutions
Journal of Politics 64 (1), 2002 (with Peter Lange)
- Is there really a link between neo-corporatism and environmental performance? Evidence for the 1990’s
British Journal of Political Science 31 (4), 2001
- Unemployment and Union Density
In Nancy Bermeo, ed. Unemployment in the New Europe Cambridge University Press, 2001 (with Peter Lange)
- The Politics of Growth Revisited
Journal of Politics 63(1), 2001: 120-40.
- Institutions and Environmental Performance in 17 Western Democracies
British Journal of Political Science 29 (1) 1999
Reprinted in Regulation and Regulatory Processes (eds. Coglianese and Kagan) Ashgate 2007
Reprinted in Institutionalism (eds. Peters and Pierre) Sage 2007.
- Political and Economic Inequality and the Environment
Ecological Economics 26(3), 1998
- "Political Partisanship and Welfare State Reform in Advanced Industrial Societies" (.zipped .dta & .do files)
- "The Ghent System and Union Membership in Europe, 1970-1996" (Political Research Quarterly, 55, 2002, 275-97) (Excel file)
- "Is There Really a Link between Neo-corporatism and Environmental Performance?" (British Journal of Political Science, 31, 2001, 686-91) (Excel file)
- "Institutions and Environmental Performance in Industrial Democracies" (British Journal of Political Science, 29, 1999, 1-31) (Excel file)
Links to Political Economy Datasets Elsewhere
E-mail links to firstname.lastname@example.org